I do not know if there will be an offer. To distract from the incident Fjortoft quickly made a quip about it being a call from Barcelona.
While Coutinho and his manager Jurgen Klopp have been rather non-committal on what's going to happen in January, the reality is selling the playmaker at any point of the 2017-18 season simply doesn't serve Liverpool's best interests.
Liverpool had failed to score its last four penalties at Anfield, including attempts by Firmino and James Milner in the Champions League.
The fact that he was handed the armband by coach Juergen Klopp against Spartak is a sign of the reconciliation between the two parties, even though speculation continues about a renewed bid by Barcelona in January.
"I am at Liverpool and I always do my best when I have the opportunity to play, respecting the jersey and the supporters", he said in a recent interview. The club, of course, have a strong footing at the negotiating table for a player who signed a five-year contract less than 12 months ago.
Coutinho's calm and measured comments exhibit his lack of power in the situation, and also a healthy respect for what Liverpool has done for him.
Regarding Barcelona's bid from the summer, which UOL claims was €160m, Coutinho said: "It was a job offer as for any other person and I became interested". The Brazilian has netted nine goals so far this term, further providing six for his team-mates across all competitions.
"After heightened betting activity on Thursday, running in line with reports a deal has been agreed, we've decided to suspend betting on the 24-year-old making the switch to the Nou Camp in the upcoming transfer window".
A fee in the region of £140 million has been touted and now Coutinho has confronted the rumours by saying he doesn't know what the future holds in January. The Brazilian wants to depart Anfield, and it will be the best option for both the player and the club to part ways happily. Naive defending put paid to those hopes and Coutinho was Liverpool's conductor.